[Tremor] (no subject)

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 03:52:48 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:17:46 +0100, Lieven Coded Illusions
<lieven at coded-illusions.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to use the ogg vorbis format in our game, but the sound department
> didn't like this, because they said that that means that they have to make
> all their music public domain too.
> So I am wondering, is this true?

Absolutely not!

There is no restriction whatsoever on how you may use or license
anything encoded in the ogg vorbis format.

There's a list of games here
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/GamesThatUseVorbis that use vorbis -
and most of them (the commercial ones, anyway) certainly don't have
freely-available music.

The only restrictions there are are on the actual software that we
(xiph.org) distribute - for example, if you use the reference decoder,
it's licensed under a BSD-style license. In short, this says that you
have to give us credit in your documentation for using our software -
but you don't have to pay us (we won't complain if you want to donate,
of course!), and you don't have to license your game in any particular
way.

If you have any further licensing questions, feel free to ask.

Mike