[Tremor] Help required to compute mips for tremor (int ogg-vorbis

Madhav madhav at mtekvision.com
Tue Mar 8 18:32:11 PST 2005

Hi,I understand about this mips calculation but i surprise that evenif we make the 1st call static these cycles will contribute as the worst case figure.So I started optimizing some intitialization routines to reduce the 1st frame mips.Is it the correct step?With regards,Madhav Kulkarni======================================================================================Hi,

The MIPS calculation is correct but I think there are some points that
need to be considered:-

1. The first call to ov_read always will be more than that for an
actual worst case. In such a case, what I suggest is the first call to
ov_read be placed outside the loop and counted as the static cycles
required for header initialization and not in the MCPS calculation.
Anyways only difference as you may have seen is that in the first
frame the memory initialization and table generation for huffman(I
suppose) are done.

2. For an audio signal, the method of calculating MCPS as you describe
can not be justified. A simplistic approach is to have the cycles
taken to decode fs*nChannel number of samples. This can be achieved by
adding up the cycles for each call to ov_read until the total number
of samples just exceeds or is equal to the product fs*nChannel.

Eg. For the situation you present nChannel*fs = 44100*1 = 44100 samples.

say cycles for 44192 samples is got as x cycles, so MCPS is now given by :-

MCPS = (x/44192)*0.044100

The worst case needs to be evaluated for such a case now.

You may need to evaluate the criterion on a large test set as such a
measure is highly dependent on the test vector used.

3. Another highly lose way to evaluate the MCPS is the average method.
You may add up cycles for the entire song length. And then evaluate
the MCPS by the same logic. This method may not be a recomended one.

Hope this helps...
Rip