[Tremor] Reg : Frame size and memory

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 01:52:21 PDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Dhanabal <dhanapalb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a few questions regarding frame size and memory.
>
> 1.Why is that only frame sizes 256  and 2048 are used mostly even though
> frame size can vary from 64 to 8192.

Within a given stream, only two frame sizes can be used. The reference
encoder, I believe, only uses 256, 512, 2048, and 4096 - the other
pair are used for lower bitrates.

> 2. What might be the max input buffer size to hold a frame with max i/p
> bitrate.
> 3. What is the maximum possible size of a codebook?
> Answers to these questions would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

These don't have 'reasonable' limits in the spec. You can impose
practical limits in your implementation. We've considered/are
considering writing up some 'profiles' for vorbis that would limit
these things, amongst others, but that hasn't been done yet.

Mike