[Tremor] Tremor lowmem on TI 55x DSP

John Ripley jripley at rioaudio.com
Wed Oct 6 02:57:16 PDT 2004

Actually I think the double MAC with shared coefficient is a good design
idea and it'll give much the same performance as two whole MAC units. Easy
example: in stereo streams you'll be doing the same operation on two
independent arrays using the same coefficients. Less obvious example: the
real and imaginary parts of a complex multiply in a radix-2 FFT can still be
done simultaneously.

Usually I find I'm just wasting instructions doubling up coefficients in
SIMD multipliers (e.g Intel MMX/SSE). I'm guessing the TI 55x implementation
takes way less silicon and battery.

- John Ripley.