[Tremor] Unexpected speedup

Niklas Barsk nibarius at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 05:51:11 PST 2004

Hi
During my work to port Tremor to Motorola's DSP56002 I've decided to
drop support for floor 0 and other window sizes than 256 and 2048 to
save some memory. But when I did this I experienced a tremendous
decrease in the amount of cycles needed to  open the file. In the
original Tremor the processor needed around 700M cycles to open the
file but with the floor 1 and windows limitations it only needed 90M
cycles.

To remove floor 0 support I have only uncommented code never used and
for the windows I have removed the lookup tables and changed one
switch statement in dsp.c ( in the function _vorbis_window() ). But I
can not see how this can have such an impact on the execution time.

Does anyone how this speedup can occur?

Best regards
Niklas Barsk