[tremor] Want to make a portable Ogg Vorbis player -- feasible?

lreisner at umdsun2.umd.umich.edu lreisner at umdsun2.umd.umich.edu
Sun Sep 22 19:58:37 PDT 2002

Hello everyone,

Myself and two others are considering the creation of a (basic) portable Ogg
Vorbis player for our senior design project (electrical/computer
engineering).  Currently, we are investigating the feasibility of the
project.  Obviously, there are a number of issues that we need to address, so
I'd appreciate any feedback on the following topics:

1)  What microprocessor/CPU should we use?  I've seen references to some very
expensive development boards and the StrongARM CPU.  Is there any recommended
microprocessor with sufficient computational power and a reasonable price
(maximum of a few hundred US dollars)?  The processor would need to have a
C/C++ compiler so the reference code could be ported.

2)  Is the source code for the Tremor decoder easily portable?  I've taken a
glance at the source code, but advice from those with experience would be
helpful.

If you have feedback on any other topics, I'd be glad to hear it.  Also, if
you have any questions about myself or what I'm trying to do, feel free to ask.

Thanks for your help,
Luke