[tremor] Compiling on platforms without 64-bit integer support

timmy brolin timmy at home.se
Fri Sep 13 19:09:55 PDT 2002

Find another compiler for your CPU?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lukasiak <tlukasiak at yahoo.com>
To: tremor at xiph.org
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [tremor] Compiling on platforms without 64-bit integer support

--- Ramakrishnan M <gnu at vsnl.net> wrote:
>  || On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:36:34 -0700 (PDT)
>  || Tom Lukasiak <tlukasiak at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>  tl> I saw this issue in a previous post, but I
> still have some more questions about it.  My DSP
> platform is dual 16-bit ALU
>
> What exactly is your DSP ?

I'm working with an Analog Devices Blackfin DSP.

>  tl> Also, I think I will probably use a
> Windows-based IDE for the development.  Could I
> trust that some architecture-specific
>  tl> files, like os.h, os_types.h will for the most
> part remain unchanged throughout development?  I
> would suppose that a lot
>  tl> of the current development is focused on the
> decoding algorithm.  Having set up the
> machine-specific files once, it would
>
> YOu can always encapsulate your code additions with
> your particular compiler name
> or architecture name.

Right, but I still have a problem.  As is, the Tremor
implementation uses algebraic syntax (+, -, *,
etc.)for 64-bit integers.  The problem is that not all
processors support 64-bit arithmetic.  Whether they
all should, I don't know, but we've seen compilers for
at least two CPUs that don't.  Now, implementing
64-bit math is not that hard, but having to replace
algebraic operations with calls to custom arithmetic
functions is a pain -- you have to track each 64-bit
variable and replace builtin ops with function calls.
So maybe 64-bit math should be treated as a special
case, just as 32x32 bit multiplication is (MULT31,
etc.)  Maybe I can operator overload using the C++
compiler.

> --
>     Ramakrishnan M         (http://www.hackGNU.org/)
>     Use Free Software          (http://www.gnu.org/)
> No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com