[tremor] Initial Embedded Visual Studio attempt.

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Fri Sep 27 18:59:52 PDT 2002

> Sorry I switch to PS2 mode here as a tangent, it doesn't use evc it uses
> GCC - your favourite :)

Where did you get that crazy idea?  GCC surely is not my favourite compiler.

> > There is no reason for a compiler
> > to use a size > 32 bits for long ints if a 32 bit type would be (at
> least
> > as) fast.
>
> Since when is long being 64bit int a bug?  There is no reason at all for
> long to be 32 bit.  I think it is QUITE reasonable for long to be 64bit,
> as it is supposed to be longer than an int.

No, it is _not_ supposed to be bigger than int; it is supposed to be
a) at least as big as int, and b) at least 32 bit.

> I agree with marc that if you absolutely have to have 32, then use a
> defined type. (I would just use int in my case as I have never
> encountered a machine in my years that used 16bit ints, maybe you have)

8 bit okay as well?

> I would hope this point isn't argued too much, I seem to always find
> resistance when talking about this long issue (I raised it on vorbs-dev

Well I tried to convert libvorbis to use much more consistent integer
types (mostly to use more unsigned ints, though) some year ago or so,
but I gave up.

> a while ago but was ignored also), The alternative is I am going to have
> to spend a while renaming all longs to int every time I get a version.

Any good patches will be gladly accepted, I think ;)

Segher