[tremor] stack+heap requirements for tremor

Owen G. Emry oemry at patriot.net
Wed Sep 18 08:00:39 PDT 2002

Michael Smith <msmith at labyrinth.net.au> said:

> At 04:34 PM 9/17/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >1MB would be an astronomical stack size in the context of an embedded
system.  My default is 4k, and it's rather difficult to tell if I'm blowing
it or not without some seriously painful debugging, so I thought I'd get a
ballpark stack requirement from people who might know...

> I couldn't say with any precision - but it'll be MUCH MUCH more than 4k.
> I'd guess you'll be looking at an order of magnitude more for stack usage,
> but that might be a little low (or a little high).

I guess you're sure you're talking about stack and not heap, right?

So where is all that stack going?  I don't see anything obvious besides a
reasonable-looking number of function arguments and local variables, and in
my debugging, I've never caught it more than ~15 levels deep.

-Owen