[tremor] Current Performance?

David Willmore davidwillmore at iamanidiot.com
Mon Oct 28 18:05:28 PST 2002

> ARM710, is that the same thing as or similar to ARM7tdmi?
> Then I'd have to say no. At least I'am pretty sure you can't run tremor at 44k1 stereo in realtime on a 40MHz ARM7tdmi.
> Things have improved indeed, but I don't think the speed of tremor has doubled yet :) (originally it required a 74MHz ARM7tdmi you know)

My bad, it's a 720 core, but that doesn't help a ton.  The nice thing
about it is that it's a FE, so there *is* the floating point unit--if
only Linux could be coaxed into *using* it.  That's another battle.

I hadn't been aware that the 7tdmi core needed to run at 74MHz originally,
so that's a new data point for me.  I, honestly, am not yet an ARM assembly
programmer, so i can't make any statements about what they're capable of.

I do know two things.  One is that Monty once said that Vorbis was no more
complex than MPEG1L3audio and that there is code which is supposed to run
stereo 44k1 on one of these boxes--so I hold out hope.  Once I can even
manage to get Linux running on one of these, I'll start my ARM education. :)

Until then, thanks for the info. :)

Cheers,
David