[tremor] Lacing values and memory usage

Tim Norman tim at normsoft.com
Thu Nov 14 16:04:56 PST 2002

Hi all,

I'm building Tremor on a platform with a segmented memory architecture.
Each memory allocation cannot exceed about 64KBytes.  I was getting an
error in _os_lacing_expand on the realloc, where it was allocating just
a little bit over 64K for lacing_vals.

To prevent this, I changed the "clean up" code in ogg_stream_pagein to
say:

if (lr>4096)

instead of:

if (lr>8192)

This prevents lacing_vals from ever getting bigger than approximately
32K.

Is this kosher?  I don't quite understand what lacing_vals is used for,
so I can't tell if it might have an unexpected effect.  I've
successfully decoded up to 4-minute OGG files with this change, and it
produces exactly the same PCM data as before.

Also, does anyone know of any other potential allocs that may be over
64K?

Many thanks,
Tim Norman
www.normsoft.com