[tremor] portable player

Jerry Durand jd at interstellar.com
Fri Dec 27 09:09:15 PST 2002

At 07:03 AM 12/27/2002, you wrote:
>I was going to buy a portable player, and as most of my music is encoded
>using
>vobris I started searching for a player capable of playing vobris. As far
>as I
>understand no player support ogg files, but if you can update firmware it
>should be easy to add suport; more after tremor was done. So I was looking
>for
>a good player with firmware update support. I am considering buying "DAP
>Jukebox 2, 10 GB, USB 2.0". Any advice?
>
>thanks

I was going to use Tremor for a small (not portable) self contained player
for specialized audio files.  The problem I ran into is Tremor has no fixed
specifications for memory or processor speeds, the program that does the
compressing determines that.  That makes it REALLY hard to put just enough
memory and a just fast enough processor in a small device.  As soon as we
built PC boards, somebody would write a compression program that needed
more memory and/or a faster processor.  Looks like we're back to paying
royalties to use MP3, at least that is predictable.

Jerry Durand
Durand Interstellar, Inc.
219 Oak Wood Way
Los Gatos, California 95032-2523  USA