[theora] NHW codec - some remarks

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 18:41:46 UTC 2022

Hello,

Just a quick answer to few remarks I had.

That's right that I keep saying:"this new version has a better neatness and
a better precision...", and this is very subjective and completely vague.So
objectively, you can for example measure neatness with my neatness metrics
and you can measure precision with PSNR or SSIM.You'll then understand that
I completely develop for neatness and not for precision, which is not
mainstream/recognized.

Some people also told me that since 2007, as NHW never interested anybody,
why I did not abandon this project? In fact since 2009, NHW is completely
just a spare time hobby.You can notice for example that since 2 years I am
focusing on the pre_processing, but you can clearly see that I am extremely
lazy because clearly all these improvements if they have been considered
seriously could have been done in 1 or 2 weeks, and not so lazily in more
than 2 years... More generally, I think if I had worked seriously on NHW,
the latest 0.2.2 version really could have been done in 2010 or 2011... So
in the end, it's also hard to accept all these years lost because I
couldn't work profesionnaly on NHW but just on my very few spare time.

Currently, I am still ultra lazy at NHW and I hope I will keep the pace of
6 months for a new improved version, if it could be useful to the few
people who follow my work/updates.

Cheers,
Raphael