[theora] NHW Project - new -l8 "very high compression" setting

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 19:49:44 UTC 2018

Hello,

Did some of you find time to test the new -l8 "very high compression"
setting?

That's right that this new setting washes details out but on the other side
it keeps a good neatness of contours, edges.

Do you find it acceptable? If so, I could keep the new processing for -l9
setting (and certainly above).I have started to compare this new -l8
setting with x265 (HEVC), and on some many images (rather good quality) I
find it competitive.HEVC has a very very good precision, but the NHW
Project has more neatness, and on some images I prefer the results of the
NHW Project.

I forgot to tell that the new processings are ultra fast, and so the NHW
Project is always at least 50x faster to encode and at least 15x faster to
decode than x265! And it is still royalty-free!!!

As I found that it was a pity that the NHW Project could not be used in
mobile electronics, I decided one week ago to contact the Alliance for Open
Media and submit my codec... One week later, I still don't have answer, and
certainly that I will not have answer as AOMedia is not interested... (it's
hard to not have answer but it's like that...)

Again if some of you could test the last version of the NHW Project, I
would be very interested. Monty, could you find time to test it?

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Raphael