[theora] Wavelet Image Codec - advice

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 07:44:35 PDT 2012

Hello,
Just contact you quickly again as my last post and questions were not maybe
very precise, and maybe rather vague...
To precise, really hope that my question is relevant on this channel (and
that I am not disturbing you), my approach would be to have a little more
neatness (or sharpness) to the detriment, of course, of precision (at the
same compression ratio).
For example (very quickly), for me Google WebP is a codec that has a very
(very) impressive precision, but on the other hand it maybe tends to
decrease a little neatness (always for me at my very humble level, I am not
an expert).My codec doesn't have this same (impressive) level of precision,
but would have maybe a little more neatness... Would you think this could
be also an "acceptable" approach? Or do you think that precision is the
definitely first "criteria of selection" for an image codec, far above
neatness for example? And that I have to add more precision to my codec,
even if it is to decrease neatness...(My algorithm which is not the same,
would be however coded this way)...
I thank you very much for any advice and comment.Also maybe this thread is
meaningless without source code.I am ok to give the current source code
quickly if it would add interest to my work, but it would be maybe better
to finalize the codec first (and adapt it to any size, clean up the code
and add quality settings,...)? I will also ask for it to Monty Montgomery
as he also helped me to improve my codec these last 3 months (thank you
very much again).If the source code would be required, also do not hesitate
to let me know, but maybe first would you think this work and its approach
could be of interest?
If you would have time, any comment and advice on the codec and demo page
in general, would be really very welcome and helpful.
Many thanks,
Raphael