[theora] Wavelet Image Codec - advice

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 06:11:01 PDT 2012

Hello,

Is is a great pleasure to post on a Xiph IRC Channel.I contacted you to
have your advice and comment about wavelets for image/video compression, as
I have made a wavelet-based image compression codec.

I know that currently the best image/video compression codecs use the DCT
block-based transform, like JPEG, Ogg Theora and the recent Google WebP,
for example, but what would you think of wavelet transform?

Here is the link for my wavelet-based image compression codec:
http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

I am still trying to improve my codec, and so any comments and advice are
very welcome.I had few, but great discussions with Monty Montgomery and he
also encouraged me to post and present my work on the channel.

Very quickly, the main features would be a fast decoder and maybe a good
neatness.You can find few results on the demo page.You can also download
the win32 binaries to test it. -I am planning to give the source code and
algorithm detail rather quickly, but currently the codec is absolutely not
finalized, I am changing algorithm every month currently(...), would
also have to adapt the codec to any size of image, code 30-40 quality
settings,... the current version is just a very first (but functional) one.-

Do not hesitate to leave any comment and advice on this work, if you would
have time, would be really so much appreciated, and/or in general what do
you think of wavelets for image compression?

Many thanks!
Best regards,
Raphael