[theora] can't demux with ogminfo / need to re-pac OGV to MKV

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 11:52:24 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Jiri Navratil <jiri at navratil.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
> I need to demux video files created with ffmpeg2theora 0.28+svn18147
> I have ogminfo v1.5
>
> and getting this error
> (ogminfo.c) OGG stream 1 is of an unknown type (bad header?)

You almost certainly shouldn't be using 'ogminfo' for anything.

The tools from liboggz are what you should use on Ogg/Theora+Vorbis files.

> mkvmerge(36391) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff78ea1860: pointer being
> freed was not allocated
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> Abort trap: 6
>
> I need to re-pack my Vorbis + Theora from OGG to MKV. How I can do that,
> please? (I'm on Mac OS X and have Linuxes and OpenBSDs too)

This is a pretty clear bug in mkvmerge. Potentially its fixed in a
later version than what you're running.

If not, at a minimum you should report it:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/bugreports.html

You might want to try remuxing with ffmpeg, something like ffmpeg -i
input.ogv  -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.mkv.  But I make no
promises about the quality/validity of the files that come out.