[theora] Freedom-friendly video hardware community

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Sep 1 07:56:35 PDT 2010

 On 09/01/2010 10:49 AM, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Hi all,
>  Sorry for recovering a dead thread. I would be a user who would look
> for a solution which can record and output .ogg and multiple other
> formats on the fly. So everything from having a raw video to having an
> encoded video (.ogg, .divx, .xvid etc.) on the fly so I could sent it
> straight to youtube or some site/burn it on a CD/DVD etc.
>
> I know Elphel did have a solution sometime back but for some reason
> (most probably the patents scare thing) they decided to pull back.
>
> So one just doesn't need to do all of that but also make it possible
> to buy it from my corner shop as well.
>
> I know its a tall order but there is a huge market if something like
> that could be done.
>
> Just my 2 paise.
What you have described can easily be achieved via a webcam coupled to a
GNU/Linux system running gstreamer (gstreamer works on other platforms
too).  The only issue is that you'd need a computer in addition to a
camera, but for the description you've given, that doesn't seem like a
very unreasonable requirement.