[theora] Windows command-line transcoder for Theora

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 26 00:35:26 PDT 2010

I just hope he updates it from the svn
tom
--- On Wed, 26/5/10, Twisted Lincoln, Inc. <forum at twistedlincoln.com> wrote:

From: Twisted Lincoln, Inc. <forum at twistedlincoln.com>
Subject: Re: [theora] Windows command-line transcoder for Theora
Cc: theora at xiph.org

That's a huge deal right there.  That's the first tool I've seen for
Windows to "easily" create Theora steams without needing FFMPEG, which
isn't legally distributable in the US due to patent laws.  With such a
tool brings the possibility of legally freeing video from patent
encumbered formats without having to first violate patent law to do so
-- as long as you have a DirectShow codec for the source format (for
which many legal versions exist, and in many cases ship with Windows).

I'm going to try to contact the author of this, and see if I can
convince him/her to use a proper Free Software license rather than the
vauge "Use of this software is strictly 'at your own risk'.  You are
welcome to use this version of the toTheora encoder in both free and
commercial applications." statement.  I'll also request they post
the source code, which doesn't presently seem to appear on the site.

If such goals are attained, I'll probably create a PYGTK GUI for it,
and bundle it in one of the next releases of our FreedomSampler disc.

Tony Lovasco

Twisted Lincoln, Inc.

www.twistedlincoln.com