[theora] FLOSS portable media player

Lino Mastrodomenico l.mastrodomenico at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:11:46 PDT 2010

2010/5/19 Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>:
> I know about these two device, but they have too much
> stuff for just a portable media player...

Maybe you're thinking of something like the SmartQ V5 or the SmartQ V7
(same hardware inside, with screen sizes of 4.3" and 7" respectively).
They have a 600 MHz ARM11 processor and promise 1080p playback, so
hopefully they include a DSP. Warning: don't mix them up with the
older SmartQ 5/SmartQ Q5 and Q7!

They come preinstalled with both Android and Ubuntu, so playing Theora
videos should be pretty easy, if they are not already supported out of
the box.

I'm willing to bet that Ogg Vorbis *is* already supported, even if
it's not listed in the specs.

There are tons of similar cheap (less than US$ 200 including shipping
for the V5) but less known devices coming out of China lately.

HTH

--
Lino Mastrodomenico