[theora] [OT-ish] WebM/Ogg VP8 streaming

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Sat May 22 18:27:01 PDT 2010

On 05/22/2010 07:50 PM, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>   Just to be clear here, the thing about WebM is that it's always the
> one container format + vorbis + vp8.  I can't remember who said it
> (Monty, maybe?) but someone was working on a VP8 binding for Ogg.
> That's not something we want to support in Firefox because we don't want
> to support a huge number of format combinations on the web.  It's fine
> for other apps, but we don't want a giant testing matrix.
>
> I'm hoping that the icecast guys end up supporting WebM as one of their
> formats.  That would be fantastic, especially if we can have working
> live streams in almost no time.
>
> --Chris

I'm all for an Ogg mapping for VP8, but I also see the wisdom in what
Chris is saying now (I had formally thought it would be cool for Firefox
to support VP8 in Ogg).  Now we HAVE a free web standard, let's not
complicate things, right?

As for WebM support in Icecast, let's all pray for that, because it
would serve a really important niche of webcasting.