[theora] Guess everyone saw this already?

Jason Self jason at bluehome.net
Thu May 20 14:50:07 PDT 2010

Basil Mohamed Gohar <abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org> wrote ..

> Your enthusiasm for Theora is great, and we'll definitely need to keep
> supporting it moving forward, but I don't see why using mwEmbed would
> compromise any of the freedoms that Theora has brought - the latest
> version ONLY supports Ogg Theora video, it just allows rendering that
> video either through the browser natively, through the OS natively, or,
> as the last option, through a Java applet.
>
> Perhaps it's that last option that you dislike, and I can totally
> understand that.  But some people don't have a *choice* as to what
> browser they can use, for whatever reason, and tools like mwEmbed will
> at least grant them access to your content and that of others.
>
> Additionally, WebM, at a cursory glance, IS as free as Ogg Theora is,
> for all practical purposes, so for the same reason we've been using Ogg
> Theora, we can also use WebM.  In fact, supporting it moving forward is
> important because the more people behind the free standard the more
> momentum it will gather.  There's no reason not to support both, but I
> don't think WebM should be abandoned just because it's not Ogg Theora.

I'm very excited about WebM and wish it all the best but have no plans to use
it, at least not immediately. The Ogg container and Theora video codec have
been around for many years, are well understood and well supported. That's
important to me. I plan to revisit the situation in the future once the same
thing can be said of WebM.