[theora] CPU with integrated GPU

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu May 20 06:34:48 PDT 2010

On 05/20/2010 09:28 AM, Richard Watts wrote:
> Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I'm not sure if you've followed the posts where I've blatantly
>> advertised /Libre Video/ (librevideo.org), but I actually intended that
>> website to be a resource for, amongst other things, developers such as
>> yourself to collaborate on free software implementations of royalty-free
>> codecs for hardware purposes.  The site is still in its infancy, but let
>> me know what you think about that, and what I can do for you and others
>> like you to facilitate truly free-and-open hardware-accelerated
>> implementations of codecs such as Theora, VP8, and so on.
>>
>   I'd noticed - looks fun and useful :-); thank you!
>
>   I'm really just canvassing support at the moment; if there are others
> interested, we'll want to organise ourselves in terms of mailing lists
> and working out which repositories to commit to - I am guessing neither
> Theora nor WebM want us to dump non-working code into their repos per
> se, but they might be willing to accomodate branches.
>
>   If there are a reasonable number of open source developers who want
> to do this, I'll have a go at persuading the semi vendors that this
> is something they want to get involved in - I imagine nVidia might
> be interested for a start.
>
>   If there aren't, I guess we go it alone and hopefully dump an initial
>   release on everyone when we have something that builds; people can
> then decide where it should live and whether to work on it or not ..

Yeah, it's hard to get going, it usually just needs someone to "put up"
and make something that impresses people.  Let me know if /Libre Video/
can offer anything in terms of infrastructure - SCM, file hosting,
e-mail, etc.  Setting up a mailing list is almost certain, and I put-up
a poll to gauge visitors' interest in different methods of
collaboration.  I also plan to add a wiki, but yeah, /Libre Video/ is
all about helping those interested in pushing the "freedom" agenda.