[theora] Why Our Civilization's Video Art and Culture is Threatened by the MPEG-LA

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Wed May 5 08:31:16 PDT 2010

> compression than JPEG, but the Ogg encapsulation introduced rather heavy
> load on the small camera CPU. Theora encoding was done in FPGA, but CPU had
> to calculate the frame checksums after combining hardware-compressed data

If you can have a second pass over the data, you could first write the
ogg stream
without the checksums (eg, set to 0), then have a second background
pass to read pages and compute the checksum. The main encoding
thread/process can therefore
go ahead unhindered. The drawback is an invalid Ogg stream until the second pass
has been performed.