[theora] Freedom-friendly video hardware community

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed May 5 08:00:18 PDT 2010

Our discussion in the "Theora Camcorder" thread has been great, but I
didn't see a direction evolve for action yet.  So, I'd like to propose
the creation of a community website that will be focused specifically on
this kind of thing, partnered with the Xiph Foundation.  I'm also more
than happy to host said website, as I have more than ample server
capacity for that.

I just want to take an informal poll of who would be interested in such
a thing before actually going through with it.  Let me know, and I'd
like to also hear some suggestions for a nice name for the community.
In an ideal world, it would be a community for general hardware ideas,
but I think we can take advantage of the urgent need for a free /video/
device that normal users can use as a camcorder, so we can let it be
video/consumer-related, at least initially.

Some ideas for names:
    -    Theoracorder
    -    Liberated Video
    -    Unbound

(I didn't say they'd be good ideas!)
--
*Basil Mohamed Gohar*
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
http://www.basilgohar.com/blog/

IslamicHomeschool.com - Islamic Education for the Home
<http://www.islamichomeschool.com/>