[theora] Why Our Civilization's Video Art and Culture is Threatened by the MPEG-LA

Greg Ewing gregory.ewing at univie.ac.at
Wed May 5 03:20:24 PDT 2010

Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 09:46 AM, Tom Sparks wrote:
>> --- On Tue, 4/5/10, j at v2v.cc <j at v2v.cc> wrote:
>>
>>> i would really like to see a Dirac
>>> Pro camera. encoding to theora in the
>>> camera seams not the best choice for further editing.

>> I second that :)
>>
>> tom
>>
> If the intention behind this is to address the concerns raised in the
> original OSNews article, the real target codec should be MJPEG, which is
> arguably the most "free" from patent threats.

I don't really agree. I don't think its any "safer" than Theora or any
other software for that mater. The patent threat doesn't come with
patent numbers because there are none. Well at least none that are not
easily coded around. Lets not add to the FUD.

Recall that there was some patent threats made against jpeg.

However MJPEG is a good match for later editing. But a key frame only
Theora would perhaps get better compression. Or better quality at a
given bitrate.

Greg