[theora] OpenHDCapture

Andrey Nechypurenko andreynech at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 25 08:50:29 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Basil Mohamed Gohar
<abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org> wrote:
> I just saw this project referenced on the video4linux mailing list, and
> I thought others on this list might be interested (assuming they don't
> already know about it):
>
> http://www.opencircuits.com/OpenHDCapture
>
> To summarize, the goal is to develop an open hardware device that can
> capture video at 720p30 (1280x720, 30fps).  At the moment I am not sure
> if Theora has a direct relationship with the project, such as proving
> useful directly, but there is definitely a spiritual link in that the
> goal is to provide an open platform that can be implemented "freely",
> just as Theora exists to allow a completely free video capture,
> recording, and platform chain.
>
> I'd be interested to hear what others think about this project and
> possible ways to be mutually helpful.

I think the following project is highly relevant:
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Building-an-Ogg-Theora-camera-using-an-FPGA-and-embedded-Linux/
I did not dig in details but it is actually looks like these guys
already can capture video with the resolution even higher then 720p30
and encode it with Theora on the fly. Also, as I understand, their
design and code is opensourced.