[theora] Questions about encoder parameters.

Gisle Sælensminde gisle at snirklasjon.no
Thu Mar 25 04:38:24 PDT 2010

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com wrote:

>>     info.keyframe_granule_shift = 10;
>>
> This particular setting means that there will ve a keyframe at most every 1024
> frames (2^10, as there are 10 bits to encode the number of frames
> since last keyframe). Keyframes may well (and probably will) happen
> more often, though.
> http://wiki.xiph.org/GranulePosAndSeeking should be of interest to understand
> how the granule position system works, and how the granule shift determines
> that maximum keyframe spacing.

Ahh, this probably explain my problem. Since I need to be able to start
in the middle of a stream, this setting is probably the reason that it
can take minutes before a new participant can see the others. This
parameter is not very well explained in the documentation, and I had
overlooked the wiki. That was really usefull. Thank you very much.

-Gisle