[theora] bad news: IE9 with HTML5+h264

startx startx at plentyfact.org
Thu Mar 18 04:56:47 PDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:56:12 +0000
Hannes <theora.list at soulrebel.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Also for the big-market of mobile
> devices it should be noted that many hardware vendors have
> h264-licenses so Opera could maybe even use those.

when it comes to mobile devices, the situation is a disaster anyway.

im currently working on a mobile website project which contains a lot
of videos and we would love to use theora (for the reason of freedom),
but no mobile device i'm aware of supports theora, not even android.
(iphone or windows phone 7 will never support theora i'm sure ...)

what that means for web developer is that if you have at least to
consider mobile users, you either go for h.264 or you have to have
two version of every video (which is not really an option for larger
projects)

startx