[theora] recommendations for web video bit rates

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Sun Mar 14 07:59:13 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 7:57 AM,  <j at v2v.cc> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago i made some encoding test with those settings:
> "lq":"--no-upscaling -V 164 -A 32 -c 1 -H 22050 --max_size 200 -F 15",
> "web":"--no-upscaling -V 544 -A 96 -c 2 -H 44100 --max_size 400",
> "hq":"--no-upscaling -v 6 -a 3 --max_size 1080",
>
> results here: http://firefogg.org/j/encoding_samples/

I tried them out in Firefox 1.0.0 on my N900 and the "lq" versions
tend to play fine, eating up close to 100% CPU, but not maxing it out
(audio plays without skipping).  The "web" versions are choppy and
have audio skipping.

If I zoom in (double-click), the "lq" versions start skipping.  I'm
guessing this is because Firefox's performance is limited by the
number of pixels it has to push to the display; increasing this,
whether it's with a larger video or a zoomed-in small video, causes
problems.  These are likely the rendering pipeline issues Chris was
mentioning.

It would be nice to include "lq" in the list of formats produced by
this Wikipedia project, if only because it provides one version that
plays decently in Firefox on the N900 as it is right now.  I'm not
sure how long the N900 rendering pipeline work is going to take
(anyone have an idea?) so it's good to have a version that works now.

Denver
http://ossguy.com/