[theora] recommendations for web video bit rates

Dave Johnson davefilms.us at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 14:41:02 PST 2010

This is what i am looking for too.

On Mar 13, 2010 3:11 PM, "Christopher Blizzard" <blizzard at mozilla.com>
wrote:

Hey, everyone.  I'm sure this thread will generate some email!

Some people are working on a super-easy to use converter for people to
be able to convert videos to Theora for the upcoming Get Video on
Wikipedia push:

http://videoonwikipedia.org/

(Note that this isn't being pushed yet, and is pre-launch quality!)

For the converter one thing we'd like to be able to provide is a set of
profiles for quality, bitrates and sizes that people can use to generate
Theora videos.  (Michael Dale wants this for Firefogg, too.)

The number of bits that you need to allocate depends highly on the
content - everyone here knows that - but we can come up with a rough set
of guidelines that give a rough estimate for low/medium/high for a given
size.  (Is it a linear scale, depending on width * height?)

I think that people have done this before, but just looking for
experience and guidance.

--Chris