[theora] Theora encoding modes

fabio.ped at libero.it fabio.ped at libero.it
Wed Jul 7 07:12:40 PDT 2010

Hi,
I have some questions about theora encoding modes.

1) Does using --soft-target with --two-pass make any sense? I see this setting
being used to encode a theora video for the upcoming "Doom9 encoder comparison"
at:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1410176#post1410176
2) What would be the best theora settings for this codec comparison?
3) Was the "dropping frames, even in two-pass mode" problem described in
"Postscript re Theora (October 6th):" section at:
http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=102
fixed? In which version?
4) Is is right to say that latest libtheora has the following 4 modes
available:
- VBR: using ffmpeg2theora "-v X" option;
- VBR two pass mode: using ffmpeg2theora "-V X --two-pass" options;
- strict CBR: using ffmpeg2theora "-v X" option;
- relaxed CBR: using ffmpeg2theora "-v X --soft-target" option;
Should the first two modes give the same quality?
5) Also it would a good idea to put some of these informations on the FAQ or
on a wiki page, since I think there are many people encoding theora videos with
suboptimal quality settings.

Thanks,
Fabio