[theora] TinyVid.tv is dead

dos386 dos386 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 01:30:12 PST 2010

TinyVid.tv wrote:

> I started tinyvid.tv to experiment with the HTML 5 video element. Now that the major
> video sites (Daily Motion, Vimeo and YouTube) support HTML 5 video I feel there is no
> longer a need for an experiemental site like tinyvid. Unfortunately the costs of running
> a video sharing are too high to keep operating it as an experiment.

> Thanks for your usage of tinyvid and enjoy HTML 5 video at the major sites.
> Keep lobbying your favourite sites and browser vendors to support the
> codecs that you wish to use.

> You can email admin @ tinyvid . tv if you need access to a video you uploaded or
> have any other questions about tinyvid.

I don't see any HTML 5 (Theora) at YouTube at all.

YouTube wrote:

> Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of
> Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

As before / usual, NO, thanks (YES I do have JS off AND no "Flash" present) :-(

> Would you like to comment?
> Join YouTube for a free account, or sign in if you are already a member.
> Like to comment and let people know what you think?
> Try YouTube in a fast, new web browser!
> Download Google Chrome for Linux

The is no "play natively" nor "download" ...

Wikimedia files do play for me in Firefox 3.6, although apparently
only in the "raw" mode (small 320 x 240 1 MiB example):

[NOPE] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:135241main_neutronstar4lunch-magic.mov_NASA_WebV_Oct3.ifps15fr15.vbr150.ogv

[OK] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/135241main_neutronstar4lunch-magic.mov_NASA_WebV_Oct3.ifps15fr15.vbr150.ogv