[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 27 14:11:39 PST 2010

Chris Pearce wrote:
> So with b_max as 0, your proposed scheme is equivalent to our current
> approach. Good to hear you consider our current indexing scheme
> "something closer to useful".

Not so.  An index with b_max=0 would need to specify the position of every
keyframe.  If a keyframe is dropped, then the index must have b_max at
least the distance between the page containing the dropped keyframe and
the page containing the preceding keyframe.

> We've spent plenty of time on the index already, it's time we locked it
> down and got the ball rolling on this.

Fair enough.  I don't know much about how Xiph standards become
"official", but I'm not intending to hold up the process.  If I care
enough I can always propose it as the next version.

--Ben