[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Thu Jan 21 15:46:46 PST 2010

I have been experimenting with compressing the keyframe indexes. If I
delta-encode the keypoint offset and timestamp fields, and then
variable-byte encode the resulting index, the keyframe indexes compress
to 44% of the uncompressed size.

I ran some tests measuring the compression I got on 61 media files.
These were a range of short, medium, and long theora and/or vorbis
files, the longest being 100 hours of Bach encoded in vorbis. The
delta-then-variable-byte-encoded indexes average at 44% of size of their
uncompressed indexes, with a standard deviation of 1.7(%). The least
compression I got in that sample was 48.6% of uncompressed size, and the
best compression was 35% of uncompressed size.

 From this data I conclude that if we delta-then-variable-byte-encode
the keyframe indexes, we can pretty safely reduce the amount of space we
pre-allocate for the indexes during encode by 50%.

Using only delta-variable compression, the entire Skeleton track with
compressed keyframe indexes for a 3 hour theora/vorbis video come to
only 68690 bytes, which is pretty reasonable. Most videos out there will
be smaller than that.

I also tested using zlib1.2.3 to deflate
delta-then-variable-byte-encoded indexes. The results are thrown off my
small indexes. For the 61 media in my previous sample, the average
zlib-deflated size of delta-then-variable-byte-encoded indexes was
100.29% of the delta-then-variable-byte-encoded indexes' size, with
stdev of 17.44(%); i.e. it was bigger on average. If we filter that to
not deflate the small indexes we mitigate the cost of the zlib deflate
overhead:

Compressing only delta-variable encoded indexes > 1,000 bytes, average
93.82%, stdev 3.98%
Compressing only delta-variable encoded indexes > 2,000 bytes, average
93.33%, stdev 3.89%
Compressing only delta-variable encoded indexes > 5,000 bytes, average
91.38%, stdev 2.55%
Compressing only delta-variable encoded indexes > 10,000 bytes, average
90.55%, stdev 2.57%
Compressing only delta-variable encoded indexes > 80,000 bytes, average
89.07%, stdev 0.67%

The delta-variable compressed indexes which were > 80,000 bytes were
vorbis Bach files of duration longer than 10 hours.

I previously tried compressing the indexes only with zlib (i.e. not
delta-then-variable-byte-encoding them before zlib deflating them), and
that got us about 50% compression.

Given that the zlib deflating delta-variable compressed indexes doesn't
give much benefit for what I assume will be the common case (indexes
less than 80,000 bytes in size), and using zlib deflate makes it harder
to predict the amount of space to reserve for the index, and adds a new
dependency to software which wants to read the index (zlib), I'm not
going to use zlib compression for indexes at this time. Maybe we can add
it into Skeleton 4...

Besides, the skeleton 3.2 now includes the offset of the first
non-header page, so if you have a large index which you want to postpone

I'll add the delta-then-variable-byte encoding to my the skeleton spec,
and increase the version number to 3.3. I have patches for OggIndex, and
will produce some for ffmpeg2theora soon.

All the best,
Chris P.