[theora] Loseless Video Codec

dos386 dos386 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 00:23:25 PST 2010

http://my.opera.com/ODIN/blog/opera-10-5-pre-alpha-build-released-here-is-whats-new

> Will Opera 10.50 include support for playing Ogg Theora video using the HTML5 video tag?
> @Petter: Yes, we're working to include it in future builds.

I can't find ^^^ such info :-|

> Is there a Lossless video codec developed by Xiph? Is one in the works?
> There is already a losseless audio codec available by Xiph: FLAC.

Dirac (slow, good BSD license, has OGG mapping), HuffYUV&Lagarith (no
OGG mapping, LGPL), 7-ZIP'ped YUV4MPEG (not really a codec, at least
it DOES compress ans IS lossless ...).

> You can do lossless video in Ogg using Ogg Dirac.  Dirac has a lossless
> mode, and the Ogg embedding of Dirac is well supported.  This is much like
> the situation with FLAC.

3 problems:

* Very slow
* Almost no player support (MPLAYER definitely doesn't support (OGG) Dirac)
* FFMPEG2DIRAC not updated for 1 year

> > Could you elaborate on this?  Standard MJPEG is necessarily lossy.
> Judging by the size and image quality
> it actually __is__ __lossless__ too (the bitrate setting as no effect). I'm
> sure ljpeg can be done with mencoder etc too.

It would be maybe good to make sure that the competitor __IS__
lossless by comparing the frame bitmaps.

--