[theora] Fwd: [whatwg] Suddenly, ~40% of IE users get HTML5 Theora with no effort

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:13:11 PST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 21:47
Subject: [whatwg] Suddenly, ~40% of IE users get HTML5 Theora with no effort
To: WHATWG <whatwg at whatwg.org>

http://www.atoker.com/blog/2010/02/04/html5-theora-video-codec-for-silverlight/
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/02/nuanti-brings-html5-and-ogg-theora-video-to-silverlight.ars

The 40% is from the blog post at the top.

- d.

Well, that kills any motivation I had to port Cortado to Flash.
Luckily I haven't wasted a lot of time. Of course, Flash has a higher
market share than Silverlight, but I'm sure Microsoft will turn that
40% of IE users with Silverlight into 100% over time. So, depending on
how well this actually works, the following would be my ideal fallback
plan:

1. use <video>/Theora
2. if IE, use Chrome Frame, and then <video>/Theora
3. use Silverlight decoder
4. use Cortado
5. provide download and link to instructions

In step 2, 3 and 4, there should not be a prompt for installation of
any of those plugins if they are unavailable. The instructions in 5
could suggest Chrome Frame for IE, codec downloads and browser
recommendations.

Still, something is missing for the mobile crowd.

--
Remco