[theora] Theora player for Nokia Series 60

Stuart Fisher stuart.fisher at fig7.com
Sun Apr 18 06:21:55 PDT 2010

>> If you're willing, maybe I could get you to run a few more tests?
>>

> Yes sure. It's the least I could do :)

I will send you a profiling version later today. Hopefully it will give us
more of an idea about what's going on.

>> Nokia specs for the phone:
>> http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e71/specifications

Also here:
http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/E71

You can find the details about your phone's CPU in the General section.

>> say that the screen dimensions are 320x240 pixels. So doesn't that  mean
>> that my phone is having to rescale the 320x180 clips and black  bands at
>> the top and bottom of the screen to keep proportions correct  is being
>> "inserted" by OgvPlay on the fly? If so, can you please  re-encode for
>> 320x240 for me to try those?

No, as long as either the width or height are correct there won't be any
scaling. The only time scaling will happen is if the clip is smaller than
the screen.

>>I still stand by my claim that the 320x180 videos are perfectly  watchable
>>even with this drop rate.

It's exactly the same on my Nokia 5800. It drops about 50% of the frames,
but the clips are still quite watchable. When I watch them on my N82 though
the difference is obvious.

>> On a related point - I've read some criticism somewhere that BBB isn't
>> particularly challenging material to use for testing the quality of
>> video codecs. If that's true, should we be using some different
>> material, or a range of material?

Yeah, it's not too difficult. However it's quite good test material because
there are some sections that are much more difficult than others. You're
right though, now that I've got Robin's optimisations included we need some
more challenging material. I've got a number of test videos that are more
challenging. Most clips that are bigger than 320x240 are quite challenging.
That's why I was talking about making some changes to the Miro Video
Converter to make re-sizing videos easy. I've now got a version of MVC that
can do that properly, so I'll send you that too.