[theora] Theora player for Nokia Series 60

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Sat Apr 17 11:25:09 PDT 2010

On 04/17/2010 11:58 AM, Gisle Sælensminde wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>> I can only assume that 'dropped' here means yuv2rgb and output
>> skipped... theora itself desyncs if you skip decoding frames.
>>

> Off the original topic, but the above raises one question. I use Theora
> for a video conference application, that transfer the theora packages
> via RTP over UDP. This will by its very nature cause packet loss, so all
> frames _will not_ come through, by the nature of such systems.
>
> The question then is what I should do when I lose a frame. There is no
> way I can guaranty that all packets (and thus frames) come through in a
> real-time ip-based system.
>
> PS: I do occationally see that the image freeze or get artifacts. Is
> that what will happen if you lose a frame?
>
> -Gisle

Gisle,

The behaviour will depend very much on how your client application
handles missing data in a Theora bitstream.  The freezing and artefacts
are definitely good candidates for symptoms of lost data, but visual
artefacts can also be a sign of not enough bits to satisfactorily encode
a video.

--
       Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org