[theora] Is there something like qt-faststart for theora?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 07:44:34 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Michael A. Peters<mpeters at mac.com> wrote:
> One of the reasons I switched to using flash (flowplayer) h.264 as
> fallback is I got some complaints about the java player (cortado) being
> really slow, especially with load time - I'm wondering if that load time
> was because of how the ogg was encoded not letting it start playing
> before download finished?

Java can just take a long time to start the first time— thats one of
the downsides of Java. If you setup the page so that the java is
started in the background before the user requests playback then the
video will start promptly. Though I generally prefer to only start
java on the user's request.

Cortado's buffering behaviour is controllable via its startup arguments.