[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Tue Oct 20 18:38:13 PDT 2009

On 21/10/09 13:52, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I downloaded the specially compiled Minefield and played with the files a bit.

Make sure you run each minefield instance with the --no-remote command
line option, else it might just pop open a new window of an already
running instance of Firefox, rather than starting a new instance of the
program.

The index-capable builds dump a whole lot of output to stdout, so if
you're seeing that, you're running the index-capable build.

> I ran http://pearce.org.nz/video/arctic_giant.ogg in current Minefiled
> (3.7a1pre) and in your special Minefield.
> Interestingly, I found current Minefield to take longer in loading the
> file initially, but then being faster in offset seeking.
> Is this because current Minefiled buffers the whole file first and
> then seeking is local and fast, while your Minefield does seeking over
> the network still?

The buffering behaviour is not changed by the index-seek code. The
buffered areas show up as a lighter shade of gray in the progress bar,
and seeking inside buffered video should be almost instantaneous,
regardless of whether you're seeking in indexed or non-indexed files.

> I found the same with the comparison in
> http://pearce.org.nz/video/indexed-seek-demo.html - seeking on the
> file with the index is slower. I am a bit puzzled. Would you know
> what's happening?

That's really weird. Are you running the index-capable build with
--no-remote? You should see debug output on stdout containing
"get_seek_point" etc?

You also could be suffering from random network latency spikes and
variances in network caches in between you and my server. I have a
custom rate limited webserver which I run locally to test performance,
to eliminate these variables. The index-capable builds seek about 60-70%
faster in indexed files served from my local server.

Chris P.