[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 17:52:15 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

Nice work! I am particularly impressed how it's mostly backwards compatible.

I downloaded the specially compiled Minefield and played with the files a bit.

I ran http://pearce.org.nz/video/arctic_giant.ogg in current Minefiled
(3.7a1pre) and in your special Minefield.
Interestingly, I found current Minefield to take longer in loading the
file initially, but then being faster in offset seeking.
Is this because current Minefiled buffers the whole file first and
then seeking is local and fast, while your Minefield does seeking over
the network still?

I found the same with the comparison in
http://pearce.org.nz/video/indexed-seek-demo.html - seeking on the
file with the index is slower. I am a bit puzzled. Would you know
what's happening?

Thanks,
Silvia.