[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Tue Oct 13 13:51:33 PDT 2009

On 10/11/2009 9:50 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Just while I'm following up on the Ogg Index threads ... Ogg Kate
> actually has a mechanism for repeating subtitle packets in Ogg when
> they are too far apart. This would stop large back seek operations
> needing to take place just for subtitles.

I'm not sure about this. If your seek terminated at one of these
"duplicate previous packet" packets, wouldn't you still need to load the
original Kate packet in order to render it? If the original packet isn't
downloaded yet, what kind of operation is required to find it? Another
bisection search over HTTP?

Chris P.