[theora] ogg, ogm or mkv

yorn at gmx.net yorn at gmx.net
Mon May 25 00:58:16 PDT 2009

Hey,

you are completely right with your critics. However, I can tell you my view as a tool developer (I am not a member of the xiph foundation).

I started writing some tools to help people doing things you ask for (Cutting, Concatenation, Resizing, creating Thumbnails etc.) These tools are all command line tools (you call it DOS promt tools) and they work under MAC and Linux actually. I am working on that tools for more than a year now and I am actually working on a windows version though. However, it is a real lot of work, specially to support different platforms, different compilers etc.

I once planed to create a GUI for all that. However I am actually working on my own and in my spare time. I ask for help a several times at different communities, but it looks as if other people are actually in the same situation as I am. And GUI programming is a lot of work specially if it is really planned to give it to the public. So I decided that I can not do that in my actual situation.

I also started to create some screencasts for explaining ogg, theora, vorbis and my tools. So if you like, you can help me creating/editing these screencasts (as it took me the whole weekend to produce 1:30 minutes film).

So as an essence: The ogg/theora community is actually a very small one. Every one did/does a lot to let theora be successful, but we do not carry this out to the users world (Through GUIs, through good explanations and tutorials etc.)! So what theora needs are some promoters, who bring all available information together and understand the users needs!

- Yorn

Some more resources from floss manuals:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/TheoraCookbook/Introduction
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ffmpeg2theora