[theora] ogg, ogm or mkv

Maik Merten maikmerten at googlemail.com
Sun May 17 23:40:25 PDT 2009

Hello,

* OGM usually refers to an outdated, non-maintained hacked version of
the Ogg container that supports non-free codecs like DivX or XviD. Its
main use was to have XviD video with Vorbis audio. OGM is not just Ogg
with a different file extension.

* Ogg is the Xiph.org in-house container. It's mostly/only(?) used for
free codecs (only for free codecs official support exists). Most content
in Vorbis/Theora uses this container. Ogg is the "standard" way of using
Vorbis/Theora and every player support Vorbis/Theora will handle this
container. Note that these days .ogv is the recommended extension for
Ogg-files that contain video - thus .ogv *is* supposed to be Ogg (unlike
.ogm).

* Matroska is a versatile and feature-rich container to use with
basically any codec (free or non-free). There's nothing wrong with it as
far as I know, but of course it somewhat blurs the line between free and
non-free technology (if this is a problem or not mostly depends on
personal opinions). I assume if you intend to use Vorbis/Theora "plain
simple Ogg" may be a "safer choice" to make sure most people can view
your content.

Maik