[theora] Chris DiBona's passing comment on Theora + Youtube on the WhatWG list

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 03:02:45 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Silvia
Pfeiffer<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It was the guy from Blip.tv who in passing mentioned that Theora
> wasn't good enough yet. However, there have been different
> interpretations of that statement - my take was that there aren't
> enough tools to support it, while others thought it was about video
> quality.

At least in a direct conversation he described it as a tools issue.

Specifically, issues such as the available Theora creation tools (i.e.
ffmpeg2theora) being insufficiently tolerant of user provided files.

This issue was also independently raised by others and I've
encountered it myself while helping Wikipedians with video, so I have
absolutely no reason to doubt its validity.  At the same time, the
problem is with proprietary codec decoders (and demuxers for their
containers) and not something that we provide so I'm not sure how we
can help improve this.