[theora] Chris DiBona's passing comment on Theora + Youtube on the WhatWG list

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 22:33:42 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Christopher
Blizzard<blizzard at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Remco wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Ondrej Certik<ondrej at certik.cz>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So what was the reaction to all of this?
>>>
>>> Ondrej
>>
>> Apparently, the impact was zero:
>>
>> http://www.j5live.com/2009/06/22/open-video-conference-an-amazing-step-forward/
>>
>> "While reportedly Chrome will ship with Ogg Theora support their
>> flagship video site YouTube seems afraid to do so. Their rep at the
>> round table stated some pretty audacious things such as continuing the
>> myth that Theora wasn’t good enough when clearly that argument was
>> directly debunked (the side by side comparisons were even playing on
>> HDTV’s at the conference)."
>>
>> Remco
>
> Hmm, I was sitting in the audience for that and I don't remember him
> commenting on Theora support at all?  He was their director of music
> for youtube or something.
>
> --Chris

It was the guy from Blip.tv who in passing mentioned that Theora
wasn't good enough yet. However, there have been different
interpretations of that statement - my take was that there aren't
enough tools to support it, while others thought it was about video
quality.

Cheers,
Silvia.