[theora] Ogg vs mp3

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:57:52 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 1:31 AM, dark lord<darklord2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to test it but is there any gui available for converting videos
> to ogg or convert audio to ogg i use ubuntu j 9.04

By default on Ubuntu 9.04 there are the following programs:

Audio CD Extractor
Rhythmbox

They can both extract CDs to Ogg.

If you want to convert a WAV or Flac file to Vorbis, you can use
OggConvert, which is available from the repositories. Remember that
it's of no use to convert MP3 files to Vorbis, because the quality
will never go up. Any re-encoding will, by definition, only
deteriorate the quality. MP3 has a few issues even on the highest
settings, which will not go away if you encode it to Vorbis later.

I don't know about any GUI program that can convert video files to
Theora with the new Thusnelda encoder. OggConvert can convert video
files to Theora using the old reference encoder, but that gives
absolutely awful results. You may need to use the experimental
Thusnelda version of the CLI tool ffmpeg2theora that has been made
available:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora-dev/2009-May/003902.html

Remco