[theora] firefogg local encode web-app

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 5 14:51:34 PDT 2009

yea ... Firefogg is a good approach and probably should be near the top
in terms of how we recommenced people transcode video to ogg. This is
because as you point out Firefogg will stay-up-to-date with theora
improvements and will enable us to push out other things like dirac
encoding as it matures.

Jan the firefogg extension developer is already adding in start/end time
and a few other ffmpeg2theora flags for the next release. I will update
the transcoder web app once those features land.

The plan is to integrate more video editing type functionality like
rendering dom states to a video file. That way we can render out video
editing operations driven by javascript. So play video url (a) for (x)
seconds then video url (b) for (y) seconds with this svg transformation
and this css styled text / png title on-top.

It has taken a while to get all the pieces together to enable this but
should be interesting see how fast full featured video editors mature in
this environment ;)

--michael