[theora] Add an intro to a theora file without re-encoding?

yorn at gmx.net yorn at gmx.net
Mon Jul 20 09:09:33 PDT 2009

Hi Michael,

I don't want to bother the theora guys with stuff from the Ogg Video Tools. There is a mailing list hosted with the sourceforge project, that may be more appropriate.

Maybe we could discuss any details and bugs there.

However ...

> I'm trying to compile oggSilence (many thanks, that's exactly what I
> need!), but when I run "configure", it seems to be missing some stuff:
>
> checking for THEORADEC... no
> checking for THEORAENC... no
>
> This seems to be the reason why "oggSilence" doesn't get
> (WANT_OGGSLIDESHOW is then set to false, and the tool doesn't get built).

I actually have two main categories in the build process:
The simple tools (oggJoin, oggSplit, oggCut, oggCat) they do not need any additional libraries like theora or vorbis.
And additional tools, that have dependencies to both libraries. (named WANT_OGGSLIDESHOW, as this was the first one)

I should have added a third, that only depends on vorbis, but I was lazy and put oggSilence into the second category.

> I seem to have all the required libraries on my Ubuntu 9.04 system,
> though:
>
> ii  libtheora-bin
> 1.0-2                                                      The Theora
> Video Compression Codec (example encoder, decoder)
> ii  libtheora-dev
> 1.0-2                                                      The Theora
> Video Compression Codec (development files)
> ii  libtheora0
> 1.0-2                                                      The Theora
> Video Compression Codec

I use pkg-config to identify if theora is available (so most things are done automatically). Is your path to the package configuration not set correctly?

You may try to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH by hand to the place where theora.pc is placed (something like /usr/lib/pkgconfig/).

-Yorn

PS: I'm just setting up a virtual machine with ubuntu to test the new release 0.8, so I'll gonna test this as well.